Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 3: Who Knew You Could Make an Omelette in a Bag?

Day three started with a brisk morning walk along the waterfront, where we saw blue crabs, moon jellies (staff member Anthony ate one!), and barnacles. We then did some peaceful morning yoga, and then enjoyed a big tasty breakfast of omelettes made in ziploc bags. We then took the ferry from Crisfield to Tangier Island, where we got to interview the locals for our final project. We learned that everyone who lives on Tangier is part of a small, tightly knit community that has depended on the blue crab for generations. We got to wander around the tiny town and visit their museum, and then ended our visit to Tangier by getting ice cream to celebrate Daniel's birthday. After coming back to Jane's Island for our second night there, we ate dinner and birthday cake, and then got a special surprise of being allowed our first (and probably only) showers. We went to bed clean and refreshed, and looking forward to our next big day.

4 comments:

Sheila S. said...

Hi Laura!
I’m so glad to read about your adventures with all the crew. It sounds like you’re having a lot of fun! Omelette in a bag?! I like this idea! That's my type of cooking!
Have you eaten any crabs? In which group where you placed during the first day, the “starboard watch” or the “port watch“?
Jim came for dinner and brought two (yes, two!), Peking ducks (I figure that it was one for him, and the other for us (I was right! Hahaha!).
Dad still working (very slowly) in your room. He promises it will be done by Tuesday…yes…sure….
It’s raining a lot over here right now. I hope it isn’t raining there, and that all of you will enjoy a peaceful and dry night.
We miss you, and I hope you’ll be able to call us soon. Until then, have lots of fun and be safe.

Love always,
Mom and Dad

bchung said...

Hi David!
I am very glad to hear from you. You sound having fun and enjoying your self. Daddy is watering the gass behind the basketball hoop , so when you come back you and Brian can play basketball together.Brian misses you very much, the house has gotten very quiet since you have left. You are lucky that you do not having sea sick so far.I hope you continue to have fun, enjoy yourself, and learn a lot the rest of your camp.We will go to Shin Cheon when you come back, we have not been there yet , Brian begged to go but we are saving it for you. Be careful with mosquito bites!!!!. It was a stormy evening here you guys keep dry and safe. We will see you this Friday. Love Mom, Dad and Brian

Sheila S. said...

Dear Laura,
I was so happy to talk to you last night and to hear about all the fun and exciting things you and all the "pirates" are doing and learning.

Please don't forget to take your allergy medication and to use the
skin lotion on your mosquito bites.

Have another great day and say hi to everybody at the Mildred Belle.

Love,
Mom and Dad

Maggie said...

Hey Moe!!
What's up?! How is your trip going?? It seems like it is pretty sick! Did you make any new friends?? I'm in Granada, Spain and I'm having a pretty good time. I have classes for 4 hours a day and it kind of stinks but at least the weekends are fun. Last weekend I went to the beach and my ENTIRE back got wicked bad sunburn. I hope you are wearing sunscreen haha.
So yeah I think that as soon as I get home we are going to go to The OPH because EVERY SINGLE MORNING I have toast, TOAST! I'm craving an American breakfast big time haha. On Friday my phone broke because water leaked on it. Buuuut last night I decided maybe just maybe it would work, so I pluged it into the charger and IT WORKED!!! It was a MIRACLEEE!!! Oh and guess what, it is about 100 degrees here every single day here and its never cloudy. How is the weather by you? Well hopefully you can call me when you get a chance. A good time for me is around 4 or 5 pm your time. Well I can't wait to see you when I get home!!
I hope you have tons of fun!!
I miss you soooo much!!!! xoxo
Love,
Maggie